Thursday, September 30, 2010

Vote "Yes!"

Yesterday I was invited to a "Vote Yes!" committee meeting.
(*Warning....I am going to use the "H" word.)
I hate politics. When the campaigning starts on T.V., I feel like I am being violated in my own home. The politicians spend $1,000,000,000 just to smear each other over and over and over. On my T.V. In my home. I hate it. I can't watch it. I don't have the patience for it. When the day comes that a politician can just say what he is going to do, (Or rather what he wants to do, but won't be able to do, because of the 7,900 hoops that are impossible to jump through, and lack of money, which happens every time....) and not even mention any other politicians, then I will start listening. Until then, I have a husband who really gets into it, and I let him listen to all the speeches/smearing. Then I ask him who to vote for. I know. I know. In this day and age, after all we went through to even get the right to vote, a woman should be making her own decisions. I do. All the time. Just not in politics. I also have a friend who is into politics and she keeps me informed. So, I do get to hear another side and have something to think about before making my final decision. Anyway, getting back to the "Vote Yes!" Meeting. I was leary about attending, feeling the way I did about politics. I saw the "Vote Yes!" ad in the paper and I knew it involved our schools, but I still had no idea what was going on. But, since it involved our schools, I thought it might be a good opportunity to educate myself a bit. I wasn't sure what I was getting into by attending this meeting, but I decided to go and I am glad I did. I learned that the State of Mn. wants/is withholding our funds as we have a surplus, and could/are going to cut teacher/school programs.
It has already happened at other schools.
Perham had all music and art cut. Wheaton could be next!
We can't let that happen.
I was informed. I was touched. I will be voting "Yes!" How ironic.
Never, ever did I think that I would be encouraging anyone to vote
a certain way.
But, here it is....
VOTE "YES" FOR WHEATON AREA SCHOOLS REFERENDUM LEVY ON NOV. 2ND!!!