Thursday, October 14, 2010

Where Ya'll From?

As I was writing my last post, it occured to me that some of you might not be aware that I lived in the south for 20 years. I've pretty much lived half my life in Minnesota and half my life in Florida. I was twelve when my parents, brother and I moved to Daytona Beach. Because Florida is sort of a melting pot and everyone there is from somewhere else, the first question people ask you is, "Where ya'll from?" Even if you aren't from Florida, after a few years you will pick up the accent. It will be as natural as if you always lived there. At first, when I met new people and they heard me speak, they would say, "Hoo wee! Where ya'll from?" Ya'll being just me. I didn't know what they were talking about. They were the ones who talked funny to me. When I replied "Minnesota," they would laugh and repeat it real sloooooow. Miiiineeesoooota. Funny. Yeah. Real funny. It wasn't until 20 years later when I returned to good ol' Minnesota, I understood what they were talking about. Ya'll talk funny! Just kidding. I returned with my southern accent and had to endure the same thing I went through when I moved to Florida. But, just like Florida, after awhile the Minnesota accent returned. Just as natural as if I always lived here. So, if in some of my posts, I sound like a silly hillbilly, it's all in fun. There will always be a little touch of Southern Redneck in me. Just like there will always be a little touch of Northern Blueneck in me. I've got the best of both worlds!
Ya'll come back now! Ya hear?
Yah. For sure....

*F.Y.I.
Blueneck is the opposite of Redneck. Go ahead. Google it!! :)