Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tell Me Again...

When my grandma passed away, she had Alzheimers. The only person she could remember was my grandpa, who had passed away a few years before her. When I would visit with her in the nursing home, she would tell me that "grandpa is having coffee with the boys." I never corrected her. I felt it was best to give her that comfort of thinking he was "just down the hall having coffee." Alzheimers is a wicked, nasty disease that creeps into your body and slowly nibbles away at your memory, heart and soul. It doesn't stop until there is nothing left, but an empty shell of who you once were. Sorry. That's just the way I feel. If I hit the lottery, you can bet I'll be donating to help find a cure for Alzheimers. Yesterday I went to the Browns Valley nursing home. They invited me to be a part of their craft fair with my purses. I knew it would be a small affair, but I still wanted to help them out. I am so glad I did. While I was setting up, a couple "rolled" up to my booth in their wheelchairs. They were both dressed very nice and were so such a cute couple. I didn't catch their names, so I will refer to them as Pete and Sally. Sally had on a beautiful red hat, matching lipstick and a baby doll wrapped in a blanket on her lap. She started to tell me about her baby girl. She told me how her baby could say a few words, but was taking a little nap right now. When she woke up she would let me talk to her. Pete didn't say anything, but while Sally was talking, he stared at her with love and adoration in his eyes. He believed everything she was saying, as did Sally. The "baby" was very real to both of them. They loved that doll. Sally also had two beautiful purses on the back of her chair. It was obvious that she loved pretty things. When I pulled out a beautiful green purse with a huge sparkling rhinestone cross on it, Sally's eyes lit up and she said "Oh, that's pretty." Pete said, "You want it?" Sally said, "Yes." Then looking at me, she asked how much it was. I told her it was $38. She told me, "That's a good deal." I hung the purse on the end of the rack where they were sitting, so they could look at it and I continued to set up. A few seconds later, I heard Sally say, "Oh, that's pretty." Pete said, "You want it?" Sally said, "Yes." Then looking at me, she asked how much it was. I told her it was $38. She told me "That's a good deal." We had that converstation four times while I was setting up. I was almost in tears, they were so sweet and it reminded me of my visits with my grandma. One of the helpers came over and told me they had the money to buy the purse, but they had to get permission from the director. The director said no. She said they wouldn't remember the purse by the time they went down the hallway. As they rolled away, I was thinking about just giving the purse to Sally. She came back to my booth alone a short while later, and didn't even look at the purse. She had forgotten all about it. But, I didn't. I felt for those few minutes, I was sharing a moment with my own grandma if only in spirit. It was also a reminder to myself to remember to be careful with the words I use, and the things I do. I might forget all about it, but chances are good others won't. So, when I am old and in a home, and I haven't a clue who you are, visit with me anyway.
I will hope that I was kind to you and your memories of me are good ones.
If they aren't, you can tell me all about it then. When I won't remember!
Thank you for the "life lesson," Sally. God bless you.