Monday, March 7, 2011

To My Teenager Facebook Friends

I love Facebook. It's a wonderful way to keep in touch with 2,307 friends without ever leaving the house, picking up a phone or emailing anyone. I have a few "teen" friends on there, and lately I have noticed through their posts, how they all seem to be suffering from broken hearts and broken dreams. Ahhh, the teen years. They post things like, "I thought you loved me! How could you do this to me? I thought I was the only one!" They also might be upset because they got fired from a job, or their bff is now bff's with someone elses bff. (Still with me?)  Of course, they are just venting and do not have any desire to hear what an old lady like me thinks.
But, if I thought for one second they did, I would tell them...
"Just because something didn't last forever, 
it doesn't mean it wasn't worth the ride!"
"At your age, whether you are 12, 14, 16, or 18 the rides will always be open and ready to go. Hop on them all! Check out the roller coaster, the tilt-a-whirl and even the scary haunted fun house. Try all the concessions stands. Even the ones that don't really grab your fancy. You just might be surprised. When the ride ends, whatever or whoever it may be, collect all the good memories and put them in your memory bank. Toss all the bad memories right in the trash, where they belong. Many years from now, when you are a wrinkled, little old lady, (Oh yes, my dear, it will happen. Trust me. It happens to the best of us!) you will be able to look back on your life and see that you have accumulated a whole flippin' amusment park! When you need comforting, you can simply dip into your memory bank of rides, and spin and twirl your way through all the goods times you had. Your life is just beginning.
It is an amusment park in progress. You have many, many rides yet to come.
So, sit back, relax and enjoy each ride for all it's worth.
And don't forget to have a little cotton candy now and then."
Yes, that's what I would say. If they asked me.