Wednesday, August 11, 2010

You Know Your Getting Old When....

A while back, my friend Nancy and I were on the phone and we were talking about.... the weather. In the middle of the conversation, I realized what we were discussing and said, "Ohhhh... maaaan. We're old!. Of all the things we could talk about, here we are talking about the friggin' weather like regular old people!!" It was really funny and we had a good laugh about it. I guess you had to be there. But, why do we do that? You will never hear a bunch of 20 year olds sitting around saying to each other, "Hot enough for ya?" or "Better cover your plants tonight. We're getting frost." Do we simply run out of things to talk about as we get older, or is it because the weather doesn't require a lot of effort to talk about? Also, why is it that as we get older we also start talking about all our aching, broken down body parts? If I go somewhere and I sit a long time, I find it takes a while to get my feet and legs up and moving. Seems like all the blood just runs to my feet and I can't move. The worst part is, as I am trying to get up and walk away without hobbling like a 98 year old, I tell the people sitting next to me about it. "Not exactly a pebble in my shoe here... just getting older... shouldn't sit so long..., I can't seem to jump up as fast as I used to....blah, blah, blah...." and then they are so gracious to share with me their irregular bowel movement troubles that occur from sitting too long, and how I better be careful or it could happen to me too. My fault. I asked for it. But, I have to admit I haven't been sitting down as much lately. Sometimes it's good to be a regular old person.