Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hey! That's My Good Stuff!

Landon has a little problem exactly like his dad. They are both pack rats. Can't throw away a thing! Landon is a little worse as he goes "hunting" for his treasures. He has promised me that he "finds" his treasures laying in the alley or on the sidewalk. I am praying that he isn't digging in any garbage cans and that the neighbors aren't watching him. I can't say I believe him 100%, but am willing to look the other way as it brings him so much pleasure. I am a bargain shopper, and I know that thrill of finding something for almost nothing. So, Landon's happiness at finding something for absolutely nothing is something I get. I am not thrilled about it, but I get it. The other day he came home with an extension cord that had the plug in part cut off and a stick that looked like it might have had a for sale sign attached to it at one time. When I told him that he really needed to toss them in the dumpster, he explained to me (In a tone you would use with a small child, no less!) how yes, the extension cord might not be any good for use as an extension cord, however it still would make a mighty fine tying rope! Also, the stick had a nice little point on the end, which is perfect in case you ever need to make a little hole in the ground. I should have known. So, Landon collects all these treasures almost on a daily basis and the pile in his room just grows and grows. So every two or three months while he is in school, I clean house! I try not to toss things that he will obviously miss. I toss things that are dirty or not very safe or I just don't like in my house. Most of the time, he is o.k. with it and thinks I just straightened up his room a bit. Today he was outside playing and I thought I had at least an hour, so I thought I would tackle his treasures. I had a box that I was putting the throw away stuff in and I had a few pieces of paper as a "decoy" on top in case he came in and caught me. He came in and caught me. He lifted the paper up and said, "Mom! What are you doing? You can't throw that away! That's all my good stuff!!" Unfortunately it hit my funny bone and I started to snicker and yep, he got mad. He started to put everything back and told me that I needed to "respect his stuff." (I say this to Landon about my stuff a lot! I guess he gets it after all.) He was right of course, but I can't promise tomorrow when he is in school and the kids are napping, I won't be back up there, in his room, disrespecting his stuff.
I can't help it. It's my job.