Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The B word...

Last night Landon and I were cuddled up and reading our books. He was reading a school book, and I was reading a trashy Jackie Collin's novel. Poor Little B*tch Girl. (Sometimes I just need an escape from being so smart and need to junk up my brain a bit. Just kidding!) Anyway, I was trying to hold my book really close so Landon's eyes wouldn't stray to the pages of my lovely novel. Suddenly Landon sat straight up, his eyes were big as saucers. He pointed at the cover of my book and said, "MOM! MOM! Look at your book!! MOM! It's the B word!! Mooooooommmmmm.....it's the bbbbbeeeeeeeee word! Wow. I can't believe I'm seeing it with my bare eyes!" I was trying not to laugh, and we had a serious talk about it. But, it got me to thinking, (Again) how many other words does he know, or thinks he knows? When Landon started school I was shocked at how much "life info" he learned from his classmates. Since Landon doesn't have any older siblings, the "life" things he learned up until he was five, were from his dad and I. However, some of his classmates who had older siblings learned a lot more than we taught Landon. I didn't like some of it. But, that's life. So, now I am wondering, at what age do we tell our kids about the birds and the bees these days? When I was in school we had Sex Ed. in the 7th grade. I truly hope it's sooner now, as some of the behavior I've seen kids display makes them look like they need it in the 3rd grade! Landon was born via C-section. He thinks all babies are born that way. Do I tell him the truth now at the age of 8? Will he be the child who informs the entire class how babies are really made and born?  What to do??? When Landon was 5 he asked me what a tampon was. So, I explained it to him in detail. He got a sick look on his face and practically ran out of the room. He never mentioned it again. I'm thinking the birds and the bees aren't going to fly so well either. I've seen the books about "Your body and how it works" for kids at the book store, but it doesn't tell you what age is appropriate to give them to your child.  So, I am welcoming any advice anyone has to offer, but hurry up please!!