Saturday, June 12, 2010

Get a job!

A friend of mine emailed me one of those "surveys" the other day. You know the ones where you have to give three answers to all the questions. Well, one of the questions was "Name three jobs you've had in the past." Boy, oh boy.....I could have named 3,323,433! My parents didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up and while they certainly provided me with all the things I "needed," they couldn't provide all the things I "wanted." (Especially once I became a teenager!) So off to work I went. Happily. Not once did I ever resent it. I loved nothing more than getting a paycheck and running off to the mall. (Still do! Only now it's more Walmart than mall...)  My first job was in 4th grade. My best friend Teri and I rode our bikes all over Breckenridge delivering newspapers. After we moved to Florida, in the summer I would work two or three jobs where ever I could get hired. I got my first "real" job at 14 waitressing. Then came Burger King, Baskin Robins, A Meatloaf joint, (It went out of business before I even got my second pay check!) Mom and Pop's Doughnut shop, Mr. Doughnut, Flea Market, The Boardwalk, Holiday Harbour, Baby sitting... Because of all these jobs I was able to buy my first car at 15! (I had friends who were 18 who would ride with me.) A HUGE Green Army tank of a car. Monaco Dodge. You could fit six people in the back seat! Then after high school came... (I didn't go to college until I was 30!) Hawiian Tropic, (I sold suntan oil at the Daytona Beachside hotels. Now, that job was FUN!) ABC liquors, (Bartender) Avon and MaryKay, Matey's Brig, New York Pizza, The Bookstore/Gift Shop, Secretary, Telephone Solicitor (that was an interesting one!) The Investement Co.... These jobs allowed me to move out of my parents house after school and live on my own. I loved every minute of it!! Then came Winn Dixie. Winn Dixie is a major chain grocery store in the south. This is one of my woulda, coulda, shoulda jobs. I started out as a cashier and worked my way up to Head Bookeeper within four years. If I would have stayed and not continued on the path that takes me to the present, right now I would be retired with a very healthy retirement package. But, I left Winn Dixie to marry Charlie and together we owned and operated the Long Horn Tavern. When I left Charlie, I got the BEST job in the world at B&G Boat Trailers as the office manager. But, I missed Minnesota. (I still question my judgement when it's 20 below, but for the most part I am happy to be back.) So, home I came. What a shock the employment "opportunities" in Wheaton were! I did Citgo, State Bank, D'Bar.... But, I wasn't content and I was restless. I decided I needed to work for myself. I started my own Cleaning business and business was great! But, I was tired. That was hard work! I loved being my own boss and knew there was no way I could punch a clock ever again. So, I closed my cleaning business and I decided to start a Day Care business. Oh man, there is nothing like being your own boss or working from your home. Landon was two and I wanted to be home with him so the timing was perfect. But, after four years Landon was in school full time and I was getting antsy for the next thing. So, I started a Handbag business. I loved it!! (Still do!) I even took two years off from Day Care and did nothing but purse parties. Then the economy took a nose dive and I got scared and re-opened my Day Care and now I just do an event or two each month with my bags. I've got the best of both work worlds now (Babes and Bags) but yes, my mind still keeps turning and turning. I am sure it always will.  I talk a lot about wishing I could retire, but the truth is I would be bored. My mind says...."What next? What next?" I am content and settled for now and picture myself staying right where I am for a long time. But, don't be surprised ten years from now when you are cruising down the interstate.....looking up at the billboards....and you see my sweet smilng face looking down at you, telling you to...
"Buy Gurdie's Girdles! They're Great!!!"