Thursday, July 1, 2010

Opie Continued...

Our story of Opie continues....
Monday night Sarah was going to take Opie home with her, but she had to be somewhere after work, so we agreed Tuesday night would be better. (Opie was at my dad's) Landon has been crying/begging for two days to keep Opie. He and I have gone around and around for what seems like 4,544 hours. My head is pounding! Landon has a savings account and between birthdays, Christmas and money he has earned doing chores, he has saved a tidy little sum. But, he won't spend it on anything! (He is tight!) He is saving for a pickup truck. (It changes from month to month. A Pontoon boat, flat screen t.v., guitar hero...) Whenever we tell him he has to pay for something himself, instead of taking money out of his savings, he asks to do chores to earn it. (I am a little proud of him for that.) So, in desperation I said  "Landon. It's going to cost at least $250 to get Opie fixed, declawed, shots, wormed, etc....are you going to take money out of your account for that?" He got really quiet and then shouted. "YES!" Then I back peddled a little and quickly told him that he couldn't "earn" it and he had to go to the bank with his dad and take it all right out of his savings account. He then ran out the door. (He knew I couldn't follow him because of my daycare. The turkey!) I knew he was going to the bank. I called the bank and told them what was going on. They told him to come back with his dad. He was really upset when he got back home. He couldn't believe they wouldn't give him his money. So, then he told me he was going to go and "visit" Opie. I called my dad and told him to tell Landon that Sarah was going to be picking up Opie any minute and he had to let her have him. My dad called me back a little later and said that Landon had kidnapped Opie! My dad had no sooner turned his back and Landon was out the door, running down the sidewalk with Opie tucked under his arm like a football. My dad said by the time he got his shoes on he couldn't even see Landon. He was on a mission! He got home and locked himself in his room with Opie. I tried to talk to him, but he cried and cried and finally when he could talk he took a deep breath and said "Mom, I can't give him away. I already love him." (Oh yeah, I cried too.) So, I told him that he would have to talk his dad into it. (Yeah, I passed the buck.) I called Tim and told him what was going on. When he got home he told Landon they were going fishing and they would talk about it. I kept shaking my head no and Tim kept giving me the "bug eye" look. You know the one that says "Knock it off. I'm handling it!" I hate that look. I honestly haven't a clue if Landon will wear him down or not. I am thinking maybe we need to sell our house, move to the country and open a pet shop. We've already got the inventory.