Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Thanks For The Memories...

So, last weekend I made a quick trip to WalMart in Wahpeton. On the way home I was listening to my favorite country station, when they started to play all these really old songs. I was in heaven! Funny thing about listening to the oldies but goodies, each song that I hear is like an old memory to me. When they played Don William's "I believe in love" (One of my top ten favorite oldies!) I immediately thought about the vacation my mom, dad, brother and I took to Duluth. We were in our little car and the radio was broke. My dad had only brought along one 8 track. (If you are under 30, ask your mom and dad what an 8 trac is.) Don Willams. While my mom, dad and I loved Don Williams, my brother did not. He was more Leneord Skinner. But, because that's all we had, we listened to it over and over for miles and miles, until we not only knew which song was next, but we also knew every word to every song by heart. My poor brother. Anyway, I have many, many songs and many, many memories tucked away in my heart. One song that I will never forget is "Waiting for a girl like you." When I was in high school, I had a crush on a boy named Calvin who was in my choir class and who was three years ahead of me. He would say "hi" but not much more. I was a sophmore when he graduated and because we lived in a huge town (Daytona) I didn't think I would ever see him again. So imagine how thrilled I was, when one day at the mall he approched me and started a conversation! Our choir class had gone to Disney World and had gotten to sing with Pat Boon. (Once again, if you are under 30, ask your mom and dad who Pat is.) He was asking me about Pat, then the next thing I knew he started to flirt with me and asked me if I wanted to go "cruising on the beach" that night with him! You bet I did! Back then, the cool thing for the kids to do (maybe it still is) was cruise the beach in their cars. If you really liked each other, you would drive to the end, park in the dunes and make out. We ended up in the dunes. Well, he was all "Mr. Cool" and popped in a cassette tape (Even if you are under 30, you should at least know what a cassette tape is!) and played "I've been waiting for a girl like you."  Of course, I thought he was playing it "just for me" and I thought I was soooooo lucky. Then he kissed me. Now let me tell you something. I'm gonna brag a little bit here....I am an excellent kisser. (Of course the only boy I kiss now is Tim!) But back then, even if the boy didn't have a clue what he was doing (I made up for all those lost years (from the church) and kissed a lot of boys!) by the time I got done with him, he knew what he was doing. Calvin was a lost cause. You know those dogs who drool so much the slobber is just pouring out of their mouths and swinging back and forth on the floor? Calvin was one of those dogs. I was so grossed out! It was like he was washing my face. Finally, I pleaded a stomach ache and asked him to take me home. But the funny thing is, back at school when I was telling my girlfriends about it, two of them had the same story to tell about Calvin! Same song. Same drool. Memories. So anyway....as I was driving back to Wheaton, it started to rain. After the rain stopped, I looked out my side window and there was a huge rainbow! Of course I had to stop, get out of the car and take a picture. Then when I turned to go back to my car, there across the fields were huge rays of sunshine just streaming down. What a sight! (I posted the pictures a few posts back, but the pictures didn't do them justice.) So, I got back in my car, windows down, wind blowing through my hair, rainbow on my right, sunbeams on my left, great song after song blasting from the radio, memory after memory playing in my head, cruising along...
just me, the highway and my minivan.