Monday, March 8, 2010

Whoa, Little Buckaroo!

When Landon was born, he came out kicking and screaming and stayed that way. I don't remember him ever cruising or crawling. As soon as his feet hit the ground he took off running, and never stopped. He flew from toy to toy like a butterfly on speed. We could never stop to smell the flowers along the way. It was more like, suck it in, get a whiff and move on!! My child was the one who couldn't sit still and interrupted everyone's meal when we would go out to eat. (We went to Burger King A LOT) He was the child who would climb the tree to the top and swing from the branches. (giving me several heart attacks!) He was also the child who would fly out of my arms and run up the aisle at church and talk to the preacher. (During the sermon!) I was afraid to put him down because I wasn't sure I would be able to catch him again. The looks I would get from the other parents were shameful. (On them!) I always knew there was something not quite right. I read 1,229,999 books and watched 1,223,444 movies. We went to two Dr.'s and they both said "He's just a boy. You need to be more stern and follow through!" I was so tired and tired of the looks and comments from other parents. I just could not get my child to slow down, listen or behave. (for 7 years!) I was wore out. He had zero patience for anything and our patience as parents was wearing thin. Then finally last year, Landon's teacher handed us a sheet of paper. On that paper was a check list of  key behaviors for children with ADHD. (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) I thought she was handing me a sheet of paper with all of Landon's traits on it. He had almost all of them! She recommended we get him checked and she would back us up. (I LOVE HER!!!) Landon then was put on a low dose med and he can now sit still and focus. It is still a daily challenge and hard work. We have to make sure we always stay on top of  it. But, we can all breathe a little easier. So now when I see a child running away from his/her mom, I stop and help. I know how she feels. I wish someone would have taken a minute to help me. (Many, many times!) One never knows what their story is. We can all assume that the parent is just lazy with discipline, (Sometimes that is the case.) or that the child is just very naughty. (That is sometimes the case too.) But, the point is, we don't know. So instead of judging so quickly, it would be nice if everyone would just reach out and help. I know it's just dreaming, but it's a nice dream. Of course Landon is still very active (But, I wouldn't want him any other way.) and very stubborn. (He gets that from me.) His mind is sharp and extreamly creative. When he gets an idea going, there is no stopping him until that thought process is carried through. He can walk into the DC room and arrange the toys in a new way that I never would have thought of. He can make a new game out of a piece of yarn and a ball. He can entertain himself and friends for hours. His mind never stops. He is always thinking. He also has a great sense of humor and makes us laugh all the time. I love that about him. I also love that his heart is made of gold. He is concerned about the animals in the shelters and the homeless people on the highway. When his grandpa gives him money for helping him with the yardwork, he is hesitant to take it. He worries that his grandpa will not have enough money for himself. He will give anyone anything he has and never question why. Landon may not behave like the perfect child to others, but to me he is perfect in many, many ways. He will always be in a hurry and anxious to get to the next place. But, I have to admit that I am the same way. I cannot sit still and do absolutly nothing. Ever. I always have two or three projects going at the same time. I work two jobs and love it. But, I am learning from Landon and trying to slow down and enjoy the little moments in life more too. Trying to stop and smell the flowers. I know absolutely and positively with all my heart that Landon will grow up and be an extraordinary man and do extraordinary things in his life.
I can hardly wait.