Friday, March 12, 2010

How Do You Spell That?

I was going to post about my vacuum this morning, but I ran into another topic along the way. I didn't know how to spell vacuum. According to spell check it is spelled VACUUM. But, that doesn't look right to me. Does it look right to you? I was going to look it up in the dictionary, but imagine my shock when I realized we don't own a dictionary! How did that happen??? When I was a kid, not only did we have two or three dictionaries laying around, we had the complete set of Encyclopedias! I don't remember if my parents got them with the green stamps from the gas station, (Remember those??) or if the traveling salesman came by. (How about them guys!?!?) Maybe we just got them from a rummage sale. My brother and I would spend hours pouring over those books. For years. Our favorite part was the Human Anatomy pages. There were three or four clear plastic pages and when you turned the pages, more and more body parts would appear. It was fascinating! I am a little sad that we don't own a dictionary or a set of Encyclopedias. Landon is missing out on so much. The internet is a wonderful thing, but it's no set of Encyclopedias. With the internet, you only get to see what you ask for. When you open an Encyclopedia book you get to discover 1000's of incredible, fascinating topics. Things you didn't even know existed. It's quite the experience. So, tomorrow when I go to Wal-mart, (Yes! I'm so happy, I'm going to Wal-mart tomorrow!) you can bet I am going to buy a dictionary. Unless they don't make them anymore.