Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Small Town U.S.A.

After living in large cities in Florida for almost 20 years, moving to Wheaton was a bit of a culture shock. It took a looooong time to get used to the grocery store closing at 7:00, or having to drive an hour just to go to Wal-mart. (This was Pre-Wahpeton Walmart days.) How instead of 8 movies to choose from, there was only one. Each week. The good jobs were few and far between and if you didn't "know" somebody, it didn't matter anyway. You weren't going to get them. At first I thought I would never adjust. I wanted to sell my house and move to a larger town. Now! But, I had a little problem that prevented me from doing that. Tim. So, in the name of love, I sucked it up and dealt with it. Then along came Landon. Things were looking up! Before I started my own DC, Landon went to a DC ran by a loving woman who was like a grandma to him. It felt so good, knowing that he was in good hands and I didn't have a worry all day. I knew her, and so did everyone else. If there was anything to be worried about, someone would tell me. That's the way it is in small towns. Everyone knows everyone's business. Even when it isn't any of their business! (O.K. maybe that is one of the not so great things about small towns. But, the positive does win over the negative.) When Landon started school, I loved that I could walk into the room and know each child by name and their parents and most of their grandparents. I loved how when he was older, he could ride his bike to the swimming pool and I didn't have to worry about someone hurting or kidnapping him or stealing his bike. The park is only a block from our house. All I have to do is step out the back door and holler "Landon!" (Sorry neighbors!) and he will come running home. Going to the movies is now a special family treat that we all look forward to. When the movie is a family movie we can hardly wait for the week to end. We appreciate the movies. Tim's parents and my dad also live here. I can't even begin to tell you how much that means to me. (And to Landon too!) He will have thousands of wonderful grandparent memories throughout his life. When Tim and I need to go out of town, (We do a lot of purse parties!) there is nothing like the feeling of knowing that Landon is always welcomed at his grandparents, and that he will be safe and sound and loved. No worries whatsoever!
Monday night Landon and I went to the library. He rode his bike and I walked. As we approched the little gas station on the corner, I told Landon to pull in. We needed to put some air in his tires. As we walked up to the air pump, the owner of the gas station came out and offered to help us. (That would never happen in Daytona. You could stand there until the station closed and no one would come out to offer to help you.)
I was very appreciative of that as I am always afraid I am going to over do it and blow out the tires!
Then we continued on our journey to the library. As we entered the library, the librarian greeted us by name. I stopped to talk to a friend who is very, very pregnant. Her little bun is going to start in my DC this summer. As I placed my hands on her belly and exchanged greetings with her I found myself getting caught up in her excitement when she said she was having contractions. The baby is coming soon! What a happy feeling!! When we left the library a gentleman held open the door for us. Small town manners. Gotta love it. Walking home, I was overcome with a sense of "belonging." I now love my little town.
Without a doubt, this is where we are suppose to be.
We are home.