Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sure Could Use A Little Good News, Today.

Years ago, I stopped watching the news and canceled my subscription to the Sunday paper. It was a constant source of horrid, sad, insane topics and I simply chose to no longer participate in the media form of depression. On the upside, I don't have to burden myself with all the sad/mad things that are going on in the world. I don't need to know everything. I like not knowing. I like my sweet little world just as it is. I figure if there is something super important that I need to know about, I'll hear everyone talking about it. On the downside, sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me and I will have to check something out, always with regrets. Always. I've been enjoying nice warm fall weather here in good ol' Minnesota... in December! While I absolutely love the warmer days, I can't help but wonder what's going on "up there" in that big ol' blue (smoggy/grey/pollutant) sky. I am aware of global warming and such, but haven't really read up on anything in years. So, last night I decided to do a little Internet surfing on the topic. Now, why did I go and do that? Honestly. I won't tell you what all it said, but I can no longer enjoy the unexpected warm weather without worrying about leaving too many lights on, or driving my car too much. Crap. I am better off not knowing. Honest to Pete. I might as well have watched the news.

Years ago Ann Murry put out a song called, "A little good news." It describes my feelings exactly. If you want to hear it, I am sure you can find it on Utube. Here are the lyrics.

I rolled out this morning


Kids had the mornin' news show on

Bryant Gumbel was talkin' 'bout the fighting in Lebanon

Some senator was squawkin' 'bout the bad economy

It's gonna get worse you see, we need a change in policy



There's a local paper rolled up in a rubber band

One more sad story's one more than I can stand

Just once how I'd like to see the headline say

"Not much to print today, can't find nothin' bad to say", because



Nobody robbed a liquor store on the lower part of town

Nobody OD'ed, nobody burned a single buildin' down

Nobody fired a shot in anger, nobody had to die in vain

We sure could use a little good news today



I'll come home this evenin'

I'll bet that the news will be the same

Somebody takes a hostage, somebody steals a plane

How I wanna hear the anchor man talk about a county fair

And how we cleaned up the air, how everybody learned to care

Whoa, tell me



Nobody was assassinated in the whole Third World today

And in the streets of Ireland, all the children had to do was play

And everybody loves everybody in the good old USA

We sure could use a little good news today