Monday, October 10, 2011

Tae Kwon Do

For many summers Landon absolutely refused to wear shorts. He insisted on wearing his jeans. All summer long! Every year, I would take the most worn out jeans and cut the legs off to make shorts. He wouldn't touch them. I was afraid he was going to have a heat stroke! I also didn't want to be that freaky mom who dresses their kid for winter in the summer! Finally last year, he told me why he wouldn't wear shorts. Because his legs would get hurt. He plays hard. Bruises up and down both shins. So, this summer when I cut the legs off his jeans, I about fell over from shock when he actually started wearing them! I didn't say a word to him about it though. I didn't want to jinx it. He didn't wear them everyday, but he wore them enough to keep me happy. I thought Landon had pretty much forgotten about his shin concern until  last week when he started Tae Kwon Do. I was a little concerned how it was going to go after our little football incident. (For the record, he did go back and it must have all worked out, as he seems to be content.) When he came home from his first class, I asked him how it went. He was really excited and showed me all his new moves. When I asked him what the best part of the class was, he got really quiet, slowly pulled up his pant legs, revealing white pads wrapped around his legs. With a big smile on his face he said, "Look mom! They gave me shin guards!" Ahhh....my little man is happy, and so am I.