Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tell Me All About It...

I have a small problem. You see, it seems there is a huge neon sign that hangs above my head. It follows me where ever I go, and it says in flashing lights: "TELL ME ALL ABOUT IT!" It doesn't matter where I am or what I am doing, someone always feels compelled to tell me things I do not need or want to know. I could be in Walmart looking for a nail clipper and someone will come up to me and start to tell me all about their toe nail fungus...blah, blah, blah. Really. I don't need to know. It doesn't just happen every now and then, it happens to me ALL THE TIME! Complete strangers tell me all about their personal stuff. I don't need to know that stuff! It's your stuff! I don't want your stuff! Keep it! Please! Today I had to go to the dentist. One of my fillings felt crazy and I had some pretty wild pain shooting up through my jaw. As I entered the clinic I did a quick scan of who was there. Luckily (I thought) only one woman was sitting there. Not feeling very sociable, I tried to sit as far away from her as I could and avoided eye contact. I had no more than crossed my legs when I heard from across the room.... "Boy I hope this storm passes us, blah, blah, blah, I just want the snow to melt, blah, blah, blah, I bought my house in March of 97 and that was the worst snow....blah, blah, blah....." For the love of Pete! Enough already.Now, my friends and families stuff? I love their stuff. I could talk to them for days about their stuff. Go ahead, tell me all about it. But, complete strangers....not so much. I would make a terrible therapist. After 5 minutes I would say, "Times up! I recommend you suck it up and move on. That will be $200 bucks. Pay at the door." Hmmm....maybe I need to hang out a shingle....