Friday, May 28, 2010

Those Were The Days...


One of Tim's customers gave him some fresh farm eggs.
It brought back a lot of memories of the Rhode Island Reds
that we used to have when I lived in Florida.
Most of the time Charlie, my ex husband would pick the eggs,
(Yes, I have a ex husband and that's all I'm going to say.)
but some mornings I would treck out to the hen house to gather the eggs.
(My beach days were long over, but I did have a pool in my back yard!)
Because we lived out in the country,
I would head out there in just my nightie, and because I
didn't want to get chicken poop on my own shoes, 
I would wear Charlie's big ol' cowboy boots.
Back then I was cute and young and that nightie was pretty skimpy.
I never really worried about getting caught out there by anyone,
until one time when this old geezer of a guy decided to visit.
Charlie had an A.C. and Heating business
 and the guy needed his A.C. fixed.
Well, it was one of those deer in the head light moments.
I was half way between the house and the hen house.
I could run back to the hen house and wait it out,
or hold my head up and walk the rest of the way to the house.
I decided to hold my head up and continued walking.
(Clomping in those boots is probably a better description.)  
But, as soon as I got out of his line of vision,
(Yes, he was standing there and gawking like any old geezer would do!)
ran the rest of the way into the house!
I don't miss awkward moments like those,
but every now and then, I kinda miss those chickens.