Sunday, February 24, 2013

Happy Birthday, Landon!

Today my baby boy is eleven years old. He is my one and only rebel child, love of my life, my pride and joy. Without even trying, just by being himself, he has taught me so many things. He has made me realize just how strong I can be. When he was nine years old, he climbed out of an upstairs window and up to the top of the house in 3 seconds, to rescue his cat, Lucky. (You will have to go back to April 15th 2010 to read that story!) In that situation, while I stood on the ground below, helplessly watching, he taught me to just breathe and hang on. It will be o.k. (Thank goodness, it was!!) He also taught me how to cope with life's messes. When you've had a horrible day, and you think you just can't take any more, and all you want to do is lock yourself in your bedroom and scream into your pillow....He knows what you really need is just a big bowl of ice cream, with your favorite topping and extra peanuts. Just the way you like it. And the words, "There. Doesn't that make ya feel better. Huh, Mom?" (I have to admit, it certainly does help!) He reminds me how fun life can be, and how it's o.k. to get a little wild and crazy and let my hair down. Not everything has to be all serious, all the time. It's o.k. to get a little dirty sometimes. Be a little messy. It's not the end of the world if everything doesn't go according to plan. Sometimes the best days, are the most messed up days. The past eleven years have been one wild and crazy roller coaster ride. Many ups and downs and crazy curves. But, you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. What a boring life we would have without Landon. Just an ordinary life, day after day. Today is the day my son was born. My life was changed forever, and I am the luckiest mom in the world.