Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mother Knows Best

Landon is a worker. A hard worker. He is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and do whatever it takes to get the job done. As long as you pay him. His Grandpa Laurel, used to pay him to help him with his yard work and his garden and fish pond. He put in many long, hard hours and came home a tired, but happy little rich boy! I am very proud of him and certainly happy that he has learned that hard work pays off. The problem is, he has come to expect to be paid for everything! If I asked him to clean up his room, he says "I'll do it for five bucks." Then I have to give him a little "Father Knows Best" speech. You know, "Son, sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do,... blah...blah...blah....." It gets really old and I am tired of it. Today though, I think I came up with the perfect answer. Landon got a funny little look on his face, then it seemed to sink in and he walked away and never said a word. I had asked him to put all the Day Care toys on the sidewalk so his dad could mow the grass. He ran right outside and did it. When he came back in the house, he said to me,
"Do I get five bucks?" I said, "No." He said, "Well, what do I get?"
My perfect answer?
I said to him, "You get to live here."