Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wash Your Fruit!

Recently a friend of mine posted a recipe for washing fruit. We all know the horror stories of fruit and veggies being treated with chemicals and such, so I won't go into the ugly details regarding that! Anyway, it said to place your fruit in a pan of cold water, add a cup of white distilled vinegar and stir it up. Yesterday I made a trip to the big store and loaded up on fresh fruit. (After a long winter of sky high fruit prices, yesterday was the first time the prices weren't the same as a buying a new house! Well, you get the drift.) I have to admit that when it comes to washing my fruit, my recipe involves a strainer, cold running water and a good shake. That's it. No vinegar. Well....let me tell ya. Vinegar is my new best fruity friend! (BFF! haha)  Take a look and see.

 
First I loaded up my pan with my fruit,
water and vinegar. Gave it a few
gentle swirls and let it sit a minute.
Swirled again for good measure
 and then I picked out my fruit,
 rinsing it off in the other side of the sink
before drying it with a linen towel.

 
The water was a weird yellow color.
At first I thought maybe the strawberry seeds
that were laying on the bottom
were contributing to that factor.
No. It was not.

 
LOOK!!!
You can see the chemicals/dirt/crud in the water droplets!!
I will ALWAYS be washing my fruit and veggies with vinegar.
I hope you do too.
Life is too short to eat poison.